For some unknown reason my address book (Snow Leopard) lost its synchronisation with my iPhone. Firstly it stopped updating things, and then it got to the point where I lost all the contacts off my iPhone (thankfully I had them backed up) and it would no longer sync between my iPhone and iPod and Mac computer.
I talked with Apple, they couldn’t help. I spend over and hour with the mobileme chat line, and subsequent e-mails and in the end I gave up.
This week I came across this great article which fixed everything! If you’re having issues with Apple address book definitely give this a try.
With Snow Leopard Apple have made the pause button on the remote control ALWAYS start and stop itunes. This means if you are watching TV on your mac, and you go to pause it, iTunes starts playing! There is no way to disable this.
The best workaround it to open itunes, and go to the itunes store. From here the play function will not work. You can then minimise itunes and watch TV!
In Snow Leopard if you try to install a program while another is installing you get an error message saying “Waiting for other installations to complete.” But what do you do if the message stays there after the program has finished installing?
Continue reading 〉
This is the results of a survey I conducted over a year to see what different models of the G4 ibook are affected by the logicboard fault.
The symptoms of the fault are as follows:
- After being on for a few minutes, your ibook gets a blank black screen, the fan turns on, and the computer freezes.
- You can’t do anything at all except power down the computer by holding the power button.
- You restart and it doesn’t boot up.
- You squeeze the bottom of the computer tightly together just to the left of the trackpad, and it boots up.
- It tends to boot up when it is cold, but then stops working when it warms up.
Here are the results of a survey I conducted here on macintoshhowto.com over a period of 6 months regarding the affected models. It appears all models are affected.
In this article I described the fix for this G4 logic board fault. This survey was to test what models were impacted.
It took me a while to get my canon scanner working under Lion. The trick is that there are two programs that you need to install – the scanner program and the driver. This works for Leopard and Snow Leopard too. Continue reading 〉
I’ve been having a problem with mail – I can’t do a search on ‘entire message’. It is greyed out. There are all kinds of ‘fixes’ available on the internet, but most of them didn’t work. Finally I fixed it and here’s a summary of the most useful advice, try it in this order:
1. Have a look in ~/Library/Spotlight and make sure there are no plugins that might be causing problems. For example, I had an old Mailtags Plugin that was 2 years old, so I deleted it.
2. Make sure you haven’t excluded your mail folder in the spotlight privacy tab (spotlight preferences)
3. Reset the entire spotlight database by opening a terminal window and typing
sudo mdutil -E -i on /Volumes/*
(It will ask for your password)
4. Open Mail and click on Mailboxes:Rebuild.
That resets spotlight and mailboxes, which I think just about covers all options.