Dec 14

The Create Booklet PDF action stopped working when Mojave was released, but it’s not broken! It’s part of the set of ‘security’ features that Apple introduced in Mojave. Here’s how to get it going again.

All you have to do to get Create Booklet working again is open the ‘Automator’ App and under the ‘Automator’ menu and click ‘Third Party Automator Actions’ and then enable them.

The way I found this was to Open the OSX ‘Console’ application and then I tried to print using Create Booklet. The following message came up in Console:

Error executing PDF Workflow /Library/PDF Services/Create Booklet.workflow: The operation couldn’t be completed. This workflow contains the action “Create Booklet”, which is provided by a third party. Third party actions must be explicitly enabled To enable third party actions, open Automator and choose Third Party Actions from the Automator menu.

It’s rather rude from Apple that they hide this error message away in a console with no hint of what’s happening! But thankfully there’s an easy fix.

7 Responses to “Is ‘Create Booklet’ broken in Mojave?”

1. John says:

Hi there,

I’ve followed your instructions however when I select the create booklet option the print dialogue box closes and nothing else happens. Any idea if it created the booklet or not and where I would find it?

2. Wayne says:

Do what I did – have a look at the Console results.

• Kach says:

Hi and Happy New Year!

Dido to what John said. Additionally, I did what you did… I think, anyway. I specifically enabled third party automator actions.

When I select the create booklet option the print dialogue box still just closes and nothing happens. Thoughts?

3. Chad says:

Hello Wayne,

Happy New Year.

Dido to what John said. I did the same with the same result. Then did what you said for him to do I looked at the console results.

I even went to Accessibility in Security & Privacy in System Preferences and tried enabling the Automator in Privacy. Still getting the same results. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

4. Charlie says:

Looks like I’m still having trouble too. When I run Console, this is what I get (I’m on a work computer, logged in as myself and I’m not any type of system administrator):

Error executing PDF Workflow /Library/PDF Services/PDF create Booklet.workflow: The operation couldn’t be completed. 2019-01-02 13:57:51.748 automator[3013:49904] Cache location entry for /Library/Automator in cache file at /Users/crc57/Library/Caches/com.apple.automator.actionCache-user-standardLocations.plist is not valid: (null)
    2019-01-02 13:57:51.789 automator[3013:49904] Cache location entry for /Applications/Photos.app in cache file at /Users/crc57/Library/Caches/com.apple.automator.actionCache-bundleLocations.plist is not valid: (null)
    Automator could not run the workflow because one or more actions were not loaded.
    The action “PDF Booklet” could not be loaded because its executable is not loadable.
    (error code 2)

5. Marcia P says:

Hello, Wayne: I apologize for taking so long to get back to you about this issue and your solution. When I told the pastor at the church where I work about enabling third-party automator actions, he said we didn’t have any third-party software for creating booklets. In the meantime, he had discovered by clicking the up arrow next to number of copies in the Print menu (i.e., making it more than “1”), the Collate check box, and the word “collate,” appear from nowhere. This enables the printer to collate the pages in a booklet. You can’t just type the number of copies into the appropriate blank; you have to start by clicking at least once on the up arrow to make “Collate” appear. Then you can type in however many copies you need to print. Talk about a function not being intuitive! Thank you again for writing the article above in response to my initial question.

6. Giacomo says:

I did enable third parties automator actions, but Create Booklet still doesn’t work for me!