There have been many times that I have been given a keynote file from someone, and I wanted to get a movie or picture out of it and save it as a separate file. Here’s how to do it.
If you right click on a Pages document (or a Keynote document) there may be an option called ‘Show Package Contents’ that will allow you to see the files in the document.
You will now see a folder with all the original documents (pictures, movies etc) that were imported into your Pages or Keynote file.
If there is no option for ‘Show Package Contents’ this means that the Keynote or Pages document is beign saved in a single file. You can change this. (Thanks to David for this tip – see the comments!)
To create a package:
It may be that you have a Keynote or Pages file that you want to extract a video or picture from but you do not have Keynote or Pages so you cannot create a package. Here’s how to do it manually.
1. Find the Keynote or Pages file in the finder.
2. Right click on the file and select ‘duplicate’. (This is just so that you are working on a copy and won’t hurt the original file.)
3. Rename the file from ‘xxx.pages’ to ‘xx.zip’ Tt do this click on the filename of the new keynote file so that the filename is selected then press the right arrow, delete ‘.pages’ and and type ‘.zip’
In my example I’m changing it from ‘OCC copy’ to ‘OCC copy.zip’
4. It will prompt you to make sure you want to change the name, click ‘Use.zip’.
5. Now double click on the .zip file and it will ‘expand’ the zip file to create a folder.
6. Open the folder and inside the folder will be all the movies and pictures from your keynote file. You can copy them, move them, whatever you want. This is identical to if you had been able to select ‘Show Package Contents’ for the file.