Nov 10

mail

Have you ever gone to send an email in OS X, and when you start to type the person’s name all their past 5 email addresses come up, even though you have deleted them from Address Book (Contacts App)? Where are the addresses coming from and how do you get rid of them?

Apple mail on the mac keeps track of every person you have received an email from. This makes it easy to send them an email even if they are not in your address book. But this feature becomes a pain when people change their email address and Apple mail remembers the old one. It’s simple to fix though.

To delete a person’s old email address, in Mail  go to ‘Window’ menu and ‘Previous Recipients’.

Then click on the old email address and press the ‘Remove from List’ button.

You should do this anytime someone sends you a ‘my email address has changed’ email.

If this doesn’t work,  there are some good tips in the comments below!

75 Responses to “How to stop old email addresses appearing automatically in the ‘To’ field in mail app”

1. Sheila Johnson says:

I have done just what it says and they are deleted in that bit, but the old addresses are still appearing when I click on name to send an e-mail

• harry says:

I have the same problem, the name has been removed in the previous recipients list, but still appears as a selectable name in all new emails.

2. dottie says:

‘previous recipient’ does not show as an option under ‘window’

3. Kevin Kurumada says:

I keep getting emails from 2015 over and over even after trashing them
    How do I stop them from coming back?

4. Keith Dickson says:

My old a/c. no.keeps stopping me from sharing photos etc and I want my new a/ c no. To be used

5. tom missildine says:

I have used the “Window” method to get an old address out of my computer. Ten times, no help

6. Kevin says:

I also have followed the steps suggested in the main directions above. I opened the “Previous Recipients” list from the Window menu in Apple Mail. I see the old email addresses that I want to delete. I can delete them. They go away. If I close that list and reopen it, they remain gone. So far, so good. BUT, when composing a new email, the old addresses (which I just deleted) still appear as options. The same is true if I close the mail app and reopen it. I doubt rebooting the machine will help but I’ll try it.

I’m on a Mac Book Pro running Mojave OS 10.14.6 Mail Version 12.4 (3445.104.11)

7. JUNE says:

can I delete an old email address and COMPLETDLY REMOVE ICLOUDI hate it,it screws up everthing. I need to trash it

8. Lucy says:

This really works…

(I use MacBook Air laptop. OX High Sierra 10.13)

Click on the CONTACTS icon (yellow book) on the Dock (opens up a window)

Then click on CONTACTS in the menu bar (above) Yes, above.

In the sub-menu, select PREFERENCES (opens a window automatically in the General section)

Deselect “Show contacts Siri found in apps”

This will remove old email contacts when writing an email draft.

9. William says:

I have deleted an email address but the email address comes to the screen and I cannot get rid of it…goes away when email closes or when trying to delete from screen. No malware or virus found…what gives?

10. Bob B says:

I went to Systems Preferences, clicked on Siri selected Preferences and unchecked every program listed. I don’t use /siri, It is a nuisance.

11. AR says:

After removing the emails, QUIT mail and then reopen it. They will be gone.

12. Dean says:

Here’s the quick and simple fix:

1. Make sure the unwanted email address isn’t in an email address.
    2. In the Mail app on your Mac, choose Window > Previous Recipients.
    3. Find the address you want to delete. You can search for it or sort the list by clicking a column header.
    If you want to check the address in the Contacts app, double-click the card icon in front of the address. If you don’t see a card and want to keep the address in Contacts, just select the address, then click Add to Contacts.
    4. Click Remove From List.

It’s gone.