To lodge my e-tax I have to run windows XP on my mac (using Virtual box) but needed to print it via a printer shared from my mac. I assume this will work sharing from any OS X mac to any Windows XP.
Here’s how to do it.
Basically you need to find two settings (Name: and Location:), they are here under printer setup in OSX:
and then you put them in here under windows XP:
It’s not exactly intuitive is it!!!
Here’s the more detailed instructions:
1. In OSX go to APPLE MENU and PREFERENCES and SHARING
2. Click the box that says Printer Sharing to turn on printer sharing.
3. Now go into printer preferences:
4. Click on the printer you want to share and click on ‘Open Print Queue’
5. Click on the little button that says ‘printer setup’
6. Here you find the magic settings – take not of the Name: and the Location:
HINT: you may wish to change them to something short and easy like I have if they are long. You can change them – it doesn’t matter what they are.
Now go into Windows XP.
1. Select Add a printer under Printers:
2. Select add a network printer:
3. The important bit – select ‘connect to this printer’ and type in slash slash location slash inkjet. (Ooh yes don’t you love windows!) like this:
It may ask for your password, but then the printer will appear!
This is windows though, even though the printer appeared, I had to reboot windows for it to actually but it did!