I use bluehost.com to host the macintoshhowto.com website. This means I pay blue host a monthly fee and they provide hard disk space and computing power to run the website. To actually run the website I use some software called Wordpress. WordPress is a great platform to host a blog or website from – it’s very easy to set up, and most web hosting packages will include a one step wordpress install like the one I describe here. Here’s how to set up wordpress using bluehost. Bluehost is very cheap and reliable. I’d say as long as your wordpress website is getting under 50,000 visits a month bluehost should do the job. Macintoshhowto is just starting to reach about 80,000 hits a month and I’ve been hitting the limit of bluehost so I’ve needed to go over some things and prune some plug-ins to keep the site running smoothly.
So here’s how to install and run wordpress… Continue reading 〉
O dear, this is a tragic topic. Nevertheless, I just installed Windows XP on my Intel Macintosh and it was easy! Windows XP set me back $115, but innotek VirtualBox, the program that let me run windows, was free. It’s pretty fast – it takes about 20 seconds to start Windows (that’s faster than my OSX boots!) and about 6 seconds to turn it off. Continue reading 〉
This is the results of a survey I conducted over a year to see what different models of the G4 ibook are affected by the logicboard fault.
The symptoms of the fault are as follows:
- After being on for a few minutes, your ibook gets a blank black screen, the fan turns on, and the computer freezes.
- You can’t do anything at all except power down the computer by holding the power button.
- You restart and it doesn’t boot up.
- You squeeze the bottom of the computer tightly together just to the left of the trackpad, and it boots up.
- It tends to boot up when it is cold, but then stops working when it warms up.
Here are the results of a survey I conducted here on macintoshhowto.com over a period of 6 months regarding the affected models. It appears all models are affected.
In this article I described the fix for this G4 logic board fault. This survey was to test what models were impacted.
I’ve been having a problem with mail – I can’t do a search on ‘entire message’. It is greyed out. There are all kinds of ‘fixes’ available on the internet, but most of them didn’t work. Finally I fixed it and here’s a summary of the most useful advice, try it in this order:
1. Have a look in ~/Library/Spotlight and make sure there are no plugins that might be causing problems. For example, I had an old Mailtags Plugin that was 2 years old, so I deleted it.
2. Make sure you haven’t excluded your mail folder in the spotlight privacy tab (spotlight preferences)
3. Reset the entire spotlight database by opening a terminal window and typing
sudo mdutil -E -i on /Volumes/*
(It will ask for your password)
4. Open Mail and click on Mailboxes:Rebuild.
That resets spotlight and mailboxes, which I think just about covers all options.
This is a little bit advanced, but useful.
1. Insert the DVD/CD into your drive.
2. Run the TERMINAL application (In your Appplications Utilities Folder)
You will get a little window with a prompt something this: Macintosh:~ wayne$
Continue reading 〉