I’ve just moved all the images from macintoshhowto.com over to Amazon Cloudfront. The bottom line is that you should notice macintoshhowto.com speed up. If you want to know how to do it, read on. Continue reading »
This hint is not strictly Macintosh, but it’s so good I have to write it up. Did you know you can get what they call a Continuous inking system (CIS) for most big name inkjet printers? It continually feeds the ink into the printer so you don’t have to change the cartridges! You can see the big containers of ink in the photo above – they sit next to the printer.
Continue reading »
If you’ve got an Aluminium Powerbook, (either the last of the G4 models or the new intel mac pro models) they are a great machine (the 15 inch is my favourite) but after a few years the hinge can get loose. Thankfully this is not like the old Titanium powerbooks where the hinge was broken, it is just a matter of a few screws that need to be tightened! Here’s how to do it.
Continue reading »
O dear, this is a tragic topic. Nevertheless, I just installed Windows XP on my Intel Macintosh and it was easy! Windows XP set me back $115, but innotek VirtualBox, the program that let me run windows, was free. It’s pretty fast – it takes about 20 seconds to start Windows (that’s faster than my OSX boots!) and about 6 seconds to turn it off. Continue reading »
This is the results of a survey I conducted over a year to see what different models of the G4 ibook are affected by the logicboard fault.
The symptoms of the fault are as follows:
- After being on for a few minutes, your ibook gets a blank black screen, the fan turns on, and the computer freezes.
- You can’t do anything at all except power down the computer by holding the power button.
- You restart and it doesn’t boot up.
- You squeeze the bottom of the computer tightly together just to the left of the trackpad, and it boots up.
- It tends to boot up when it is cold, but then stops working when it warms up.
Here are the results of a survey I conducted here on macintoshhowto.com over a period of 6 months regarding the affected models. It appears all models are affected.
In this article I described the fix for this G4 logic board fault. This survey was to test what models were impacted.
I’ve been having a problem with mail – I can’t do a search on ‘entire message’. It is greyed out. There are all kinds of ‘fixes’ available on the internet, but most of them didn’t work. Finally I fixed it and here’s a summary of the most useful advice, try it in this order:
1. Have a look in ~/Library/Spotlight and make sure there are no plugins that might be causing problems. For example, I had an old Mailtags Plugin that was 2 years old, so I deleted it.
2. Make sure you haven’t excluded your mail folder in the spotlight privacy tab (spotlight preferences)
3. Reset the entire spotlight database by opening a terminal window and typing
sudo mdutil -E -i on /Volumes/*
(It will ask for your password)
4. Open Mail and click on Mailboxes:Rebuild.
That resets spotlight and mailboxes, which I think just about covers all options.