Sep 21

This month Macspeech have released a major upgrade of Macspeech Dictate and they have also renamed it to include the Dragon branding – Dragon Dictate. It’s the equivalent of Dragon Naturally Speaking version 11 on Windows.

I’ve only been using it for a couple of hours, but I can say it’s definitely an improvement on MacSpeech Dictate. Dragon have put their name on the product, which I assume means they’ve put out something that they’re finally happy with.
I was happy with the last version, but this one is even better.

Dragon Dictate’s remarkable accuracy is powered by the latest version of the Dragon speech recognition engine. This is the same state-of-the-art technology used by Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 for the PC.

All the previous upgrades to MacSpeech Dictate  have just been an upgrade to the application, but this upgrade includes new speech files as well.  That makes it a hefty download, over 1 GB,  and also means that you have to totally retrain your voice from scratch.  That’s not a problem though, because after no more than 5 or 6 minutes of training my version of Dragon Dictate is already more accurate than the last MacSpeech Dictate,  which I had done the full training on.

Dragon Dictate, the latest version, also has voice controls, like ou can move the cursor around on your screen, and you can even say a phrase like ‘search google  for Italian restaurants in Dubbo’  and  it will open google and do the search.  I’m not sure that I’ll use this feature a lot, but it certainly will be good for people who  want to use DragonDictate to control their computer rather than just to dictate documents.

Click here to go to the Dragon site where you can purchase and download it.

Note that Dragon Dictate only runs on Snow Leopard.

Here is a short video I put together  of me trying out the latest version of Dragon Dictate…

Here is me dictating the start of a talk so you can see how it works in real life…

Here’s a video of what it looks like to do the basic training…  (for some reason the audio doesn’t work for the first 30 seconds of the video.)

As good as speech recognition is, sometimes it drives you bonkers.  Here it struggles to correctly recognise the word Australian – a shame since it is the Australian accent version!

Here’s a good little demo I found of an American guy doing a similar demo.

You can buy it here:
Dragon Dictate for Mac 2.0

Other posts on Speech recognition:

Enjoyed this article?

Click back to the front page to see some of my latest posts. Thanks!

43 Responses to “Macspeech dictate is renamed ‘Dragon Dictate’”

1. Russ Smidt says:

I laughed lots – thanks Wayne!

2. cm says:

Does it do mouse clicks? Eg can you say “mouse click” and the mouse will click at the current position of the cursor. This used to be an add-in pack for the old iListen. In MacDictate, you had to code this feature using some extensions (but it worked really well when you did). So I am wondering if the new version has this feature out of the box?

3. Andrew says:

Little bit off topic but can I ask what screen recording software you are using? it seems to make a circle effect when you click the mouse.

4. Fred says:

Question: Can you save the voice dictation file for playback later so that you can listen to your dictation as you proofread the transcribed document? Two hours’ worth of dictation? Four?

5. […] Dragon Dictate – Dragon Naturally Speaking v11 on the Mac Sep 26 […]

6. Tim says:

Will this new version transcribe pre recorded files like the PC version does or do mac users still have to buy scribe……. the latter I suspect but it would be a pleasant surprise if not.

7. Erik H says:

FYI, it only runs on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. I didn’t see that until after I bought it.

8. admin says:

I can’t see anywhere in the menus where it can transcribe audio files.

9. Sunny Philip says:

Can i use my platronics wireless head set which I use for Dragon naturally speaking v.10 on a windows based pc on a Macbook – dragon dictate?

• admin says:

Yes you can, no worries, you can either plug it straight in to your USB port if it’s a USB-based one, or get a USB sound a dongle and plug it into that. I have tried both of these options.

10. Jack says:

The first truly useful review of DD. I have read many, but yours shows just how smart it is.

Many thanks !