There have been many times that I have been given a keynote file from someone, and I want to get a movie or picture out of it and save it as a separate file. You used to be able to right click and select “view package contents” but that doesn’t work anymore. Here’s how to do it now.
Update for macOS Sierra.
With macOS Sierra the ‘Show Package Contents’ option has re-appeared. If you right click on a Pages document there is may be an option on called ‘Show Package Contents’ that will allow you to see the files. So find your Pages document and ‘right click’ (or hold down control while you click) and you will see a menu. If the menu has an option that says ‘Show Package Contents’ you can just click on this and you will get a folder with all the documents in your Pages or Keynote file. If there is no option for ‘Show Package Contents’ then you will need to read on for the manual steps on how to do it.
You will now see a folder with all the original documents (pictures, movies etc) that were imported into your Pages or Keynote file.
The ‘Show Package Contents’ seems to be there for some documents and not others. There does not seem to be any reason when it is there and when it is not. If anyone can work out why this is I’d love to know. I have tried different versions of Pages. I have tried documents with and without pictures. It seems to be random whether the ‘Show Package Contents’ is there for not. If it’s not there, read on for how to find the contents of the file manually.
How to extract the pictures from a Keynote or PAges fiel manually.
1. Find the Keynote or Pages file in the finder.
2. Right click on the file and select ‘duplicate’. (This is just so that you are working on a copy and won’t hurt the original file.)
3. Click on the filename of the new keynote file so that the filename is selected, press right arrow and type ‘.zip’ after the filename. In my example I’m changing it from ‘OCC copy’ to ‘OCC copy.zip’. If it has a .pages at the end delete the .pages and replace it with .zip
4. It will prompt you to make sure you want to change the name, click ‘Use.zip’.
5. Now double click on the .zip file and it will create a folder.
6. Open the folder and inside the folder will be all the movies and pictures from your keynote file. You can copy them, move them, whatever you want. This is identical to if you had been able to select ‘Show Package Contents’ for the file.