Mar 02

It took me a while to get my canon scanner working under Lion. The trick is that there are two programs that you need to install – the scanner program and the driver. This works for Leopard and Snow Leopard too.You need to install the canon toolbox which is the general canon scanning program called “CanoScan Toolbox Ver. 4.9.3.4X (Mac OS X)”  but you also need to install the ‘driver’ for your particular printer (for my printer it was called “LiDE 60 Scanner Driver Ver. 11.1.3.0X (Mac OS X)”. There’s no where I could see on the canon page that tells you you need to download BOTH these files.
I found both these by going to the canon page here, and typing in  ‘LIDE 60’ Then I got a list of options, and I chose the link under my printer ‘CanoScan LiDE 60’ which took me here. I clicked drivers and downloads which took me here. Both the files were there in the list. Install the toolbox first, then the driver, then you’ll need to restart.

It then gave me an error as follows:

“The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/CNQL1212_ClassicNotSeize.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used.”

This is apparently an old file Canon forgot to remove. Remove it manually from, here:

/System/Library/Extensions/CNQL1212_ClassicNotSeize.kext

All working!

58 Responses to “How to get your Canon LIDE 60 scanner working in Lion”

1. B Duff says:

Follow these instructions and you canon scanner will work. Thanks

2. dodi says:

Thanks so much for this. After struggling for a LONG time, found this post. Did as you suggested (although I installed driver first, toolbox second) using Toolbox version 4.9 (even though 5.0 is available). Made sure to choose an image viewer (I used Acrobat, but you could use Photoshop or Preview) in OCR and scanning tabs. Worked like a charm.

3. Lynne says:

Thanks so much. This solved the “no driver” problem perfectly.

4. L. Russo says:

It worked, thanks!

5. Phillip says:

Thanks so much for the advice, although regrettably it didn’t work for me – I still get an error message asking me to reinstall the driver, even though I’m sure I followed the instructions exactly as above. Any other ideas? Any assistance would be very gratefully received.

6. Joe says:

You rock I was about to give this scanner away.
    Thank you so much.

• Steve says:

I just updated to Lion and had a feeling there would be a problem with my Canon Lide 60. Sure enough, Lion killed it. I did, however, follow 7P’s directions to the letter and my scanner is now working with Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 to scan photos. I don’t use the CanoScan Toolbox software very much, but it works as well. You saved me lots of headaches and expense. Thanks so much!!!
      binaereoptionen.webnode.com

7. Rod says:

How can i add canonscan lide20 to mac osx

is it the same as above
    cheers
    Rod

8. Tom says:

Thanks, worked for me

9. dtm says:

404
    Does not work. Naturally. It’s a Mac!
    Two months with a MacBook Pro – two months of sheer hell. Slick commercials, questionable product.
    Is actually designed to work on a Mac??

10. Na says:

Thanks so much it worked! I was wondering if there is a way to get it into Photoshop. ie. in the import thingie. Anyways you saved me TONES of time! Thanks!