Mar 02

It took me a while to get my canon scanner working under Lion. The trick is that there are two programs that you need to install – the scanner program and the driver. This works for Leopard and Snow Leopard too.You need to install the canon toolbox which is the general canon scanning program called “CanoScan Toolbox Ver. 4.9.3.4X (Mac OS X)”  but you also need to install the ‘driver’ for your particular printer (for my printer it was called “LiDE 60 Scanner Driver Ver. 11.1.3.0X (Mac OS X)”. There’s no where I could see on the canon page that tells you you need to download BOTH these files.
I found both these by going to the canon page here, and typing in  ‘LIDE 60′ Then I got a list of options, and I chose the link under my printer ‘CanoScan LiDE 60′ which took me here. I clicked drivers and downloads which took me here. Both the files were there in the list. Install the toolbox first, then the driver, then you’ll need to restart.

It then gave me an error as follows:

“The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/CNQL1212_ClassicNotSeize.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used.”

This is apparently an old file Canon forgot to remove. Remove it manually from, here:

/System/Library/Extensions/CNQL1212_ClassicNotSeize.kext

All working!

56 Responses to “How to get your Canon LIDE 60 scanner working in Lion”

1. B Duff says:

Follow these instructions and you canon scanner will work. Thanks

2. dodi says:

Thanks so much for this. After struggling for a LONG time, found this post. Did as you suggested (although I installed driver first, toolbox second) using Toolbox version 4.9 (even though 5.0 is available). Made sure to choose an image viewer (I used Acrobat, but you could use Photoshop or Preview) in OCR and scanning tabs. Worked like a charm.

3. Lynne says:

Thanks so much. This solved the “no driver” problem perfectly.

4. L. Russo says:

It worked, thanks!

5. Phillip says:

Thanks so much for the advice, although regrettably it didn’t work for me – I still get an error message asking me to reinstall the driver, even though I’m sure I followed the instructions exactly as above. Any other ideas? Any assistance would be very gratefully received.

6. Joe says:

You rock I was about to give this scanner away.
    Thank you so much.

• Steve says:

I just updated to Lion and had a feeling there would be a problem with my Canon Lide 60. Sure enough, Lion killed it. I did, however, follow 7P’s directions to the letter and my scanner is now working with Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 to scan photos. I don’t use the CanoScan Toolbox software very much, but it works as well. You saved me lots of headaches and expense. Thanks so much!!!
      binaereoptionen.webnode.com

7. Rod says:

How can i add canonscan lide20 to mac osx

is it the same as above
    cheers
    Rod

8. Tom says:

Thanks, worked for me

9. dtm says:

404
    Does not work. Naturally. It’s a Mac!
    Two months with a MacBook Pro – two months of sheer hell. Slick commercials, questionable product.
    Is actually designed to work on a Mac??

10. Na says:

Thanks so much it worked! I was wondering if there is a way to get it into Photoshop. ie. in the import thingie. Anyways you saved me TONES of time! Thanks!

11. aan says:

Got a nice shiny new MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard recently. My Canon Lide 500 F had been sitting unused in the closet for awhile.

Downloaded the drivers and the Canoscan Toolbox, plugged in Scanner and tried it. After about 4 tries Mac gave me a nice polite message that perhaps I should unplug the scanner, open the lock and then plug it back in. LOL! Not one of my swifter moments!

Then I went to the CanoScan Toolbox, clicked the Settings icon. In the Settings Window there is a field for Save Scanned Image To. I set that as the default Scanner Output folder (which shows up in Finder under each users My Pictures folder). I also selected Photoshop as the program to use for opening the picture after scanning.

Voila everything works perfect!

12. aan says:

PS Thanks for the tip. I went on line and searched for info before trying setup. Might have been fighting with it for quite a while had you not posted your tip.

13. Al says:

I did download and installed both files, but when I start the “scan” in the toolbox it says “failed to open a driver”??? I have loaded the driver 5 times and it still cannot find it?

• Kseniia says:

Have you found a way to fix this problem? I have the same one, idk what to do…

• David says:

Have you “added” the scanner to your Print & Scan queue? If not, do it. Then go to System Preferences=>Print & Scan, choose your scanner and “open scanner”. If the printer driver is installed, a CanoScan LIDE 60 window should open. Click “scan” to do a scan. You should get a decent scan.
        I had the same problem as you guys and finally found the problem was with CanoScan Toolbox 5.0. Stay away from it!!! Use 4.9 instead.

14. CaptJon says:

I had the same problem, but much earlier. My flatbed scanner would not work with Leopard and Canon said there was no work around. They offered me 10% off of a new scanner, but I didn’t see any advantage to that. I tried almost everything and finally caved in and purchased VueScan. My only regret was that I didn’t do so earlier. Check with their website for compatibility. Since installing it I have talked to several folks who have been using it for years, new scanner or not. I just checked and they do offer a free trial and claim to support over 1500 models. If you buy it will set you back $39.99. It says this includes one year of updates, but I am sure that I have been receiving them longer. Good luck.

15. Paul C says:

Thanks – worked for me with Mac OS 10.6.3

You have saved me lots of frustration

Agree with earlier posting – upgrading to a MacBook Pro has been a lot or work! Come on Mac

16. speedy says:

I was getting the software driver missing or corrupt, reinstall driver message as well on a Powerbook G4 10.5.2. I’ve always had the scanner connected to a USB hub along with a USB keyboard and mouse with no problems but recently it stopped working. After getting frustrated reinstalling the drivers with no success i just connected the scanner directly to the laptop instead of the hub and problem solved. I guess the canon lide 60 wasn´t getting enough power anymore. maybe because it’s been a lot hotter here lately and the internal cooling fan has been working a lot harder lately…so don´t forget the simple stuff like i did and thanks for the great post.

• Rachel says:

Thanks – that worked for me too. Plugged the scanner directly into the computer and not via a USB hub, and started working. Was getting the Scan Fail – unplug USB and unlock scanner and try again message.

Cheers!

17. Sjeffers says:

Cheers mate. Works good. I did it exactly the same – on my own – but apparently I installed the German version. How should I know, right? After installing the proper English version it was ready to go. Scanning now, at the moment.

Cheers

18. Spyder says:

Thanks for the help. My friend gave me their scanner and said it didn’t work with a Mac. Now I have a perfectly good scanner.

19. Melissa says:

Worked great…. I can finally use my older scanner with my new MacBook Pro! I couldn’t find anything on Canon’s driver site and was thinking my scanner was too old. I’ve had my laptop for close to 5 months and couldn’t scan any of my professional artwork in and I absolutely refused to buy a new scanner just b/c my computer was too new. But thanks to your post that I happened to stumble upon I can get a few more years out of it!

20. sarah says:

I just downloaded the Lide70 driver, and its working fine on the new computer with the 60 scanner. (I downloaded and installed the 60 drivers and bits multiple times, and it just *refused* to work with the 60 driver)

When I open scangear, it gives me a choice 60/70 choose 70, and then I scan as usual.

21. After uninstalling (thanks!!), I installed the driver first and then the toolbox (using Toolbox version 4.9–couldn’t get 5.0 to work). I don’t know if this made a difference, but I chose an image viewer (I used Acrobat, but you could use Photoshop or Preview) under the OCR tab, since there was no associated program. Worked like a charm.

22. Nvidia says:

Thanks much. Managed to get my Canon CanoScan Lide 25 working with Mac OS X 10.6 (10.6.7) Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro.

Downloaded the Lide 25 drivers from the Canon website. The key for me was to use CanoScan Toolbox 4.9 (4.9.3.4) NOT Version 5 or above.

23. JCZ says:

Thank you so much for the info, it works great! It was very frustrating trying and trying to get the Lide 60 to work on my new OSX 10.5, all without success. Then I found your site and all is well, I am a happy camper.

I found it interesting that the links you gave were from Canon Australia. Canon USA does not have them, or they are very well hidden.

24. Swiski says:

I took everyone’s advice and purchased VueScan. The problem now is that it’s telling me I need driver software for my Canon LiDE 60 scanner? How can I do that when Canon isn’t offering a driver?!!! The software file on Canon’s website removes a driver, but does it install a new one?!!!! HELP!!

25. MB says:

I’m having trouble with my Canon MX340 on my 10.6.7 OSX. It won’t scan. I installed the Apple and Canon updates and still the same problem. What next ?