May 12

I wanted a ‘family feud’ style gameshow in keynote, but it was a bit complicated trying to make the right answer appear. I found the best way to do it was to have 25 slides with the different possible combinations of hidden/shown answers, then a heap of hyperlinks between various slides depending on what answer was picked. It worked out well. I’ve updated the files for Keynote 6.

The text for the questions and answers is on the master slide. To change the answers, edit the master slide. To do this select ‘Edit Master Slide’ and edit the text fields that have the answers. Be careful not to move any fields around, just edit the text in them.

To play the game, start the slideshow at slide number 1.

If there is a corrrect answer guessed, click on the appropriate box to reveal that answer – complete with sound effects! For a wrong answer, click anywhere on the background.

Here is a link to the keynote templates – there are two versions:

Version 1

This is a very big version that takes longer to load but has all the sound effects in it.

Family Feud for Keynote 6

Older version for Keynote 4

Version 2 – simplified version.

This is a simplified version that needs the ‘wrong guess’ sound effect to be played from an ipod but it is much faster to load. The slides are also rearranged so  you can control it manually by pressing the number keys instead of using a mouse. (e.g. ‘1’ reveals answer 1′, ’12’ reveals answer 1 and 2, ’21’ reveals all except for 1 and 2 and so on.

NOTE – for this version you need to start on slide 6.

Family Feud for Keynote 6

Older Version for Keynote 4

Here are the rules from wikipedia:

Let me know how it goes!

Here’s a goot tip from Stacey:

Thank you so much for your work! This is awesome – perfect as a review game for my students. But, I was able to make more questions on the same presentation rather than saving a bunch of files. I just copied the two master slides (“Sound” and “No sound”) and renamed them (“Question 2 Sound” and “Question 2 No Sound”). Then I typed in my second question on the two new master sides. Next, I copy/pasted the sequence of 34 possible answer slides and reapplied the “Question 2 Sound” and “Question 2 No Sound” to the appropriate slides. I ended up making about 25 different questions in one file. Thanks again!

91 Responses to “How to make a Family Feud game in Keynote”

1. Mickey Carter says:

I’m a youth pastor trying to download this file to use. The link doesn’t work? Is it possible for you to email me a different link?

2. Erin E says:

This is awesome!! I downloaded the smaller version, since my computer is slow and it was easy!! The download took 5 minutes and the file opens in seconds without a problem. For those of you having trouble, just use the smaller file!

We are using it at WyldLife tonight!! Thank you!!

3. Laura says:

I followed Stacey’s instructions to add questions; however, when I go to view the show, the second set of questions starts with the “buzzer” and then each correct answer has the “ding” followed by the buzzer. I can’t figure out how to get rid of the automatic buzzer sounds. Any suggestions?

• Stacey says:

Open Inspector, click on the QuickTime tab on the far right, and make sure the “start movie on click” box is checked for all of the buzzer sounds. This makes it so that when a student gives an incorrect answer, you can click in anywhere on the teal background space and the buzzer will sound.

4. Corey says:

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I was scared I’d have to use Flash to do this. You saved me so much work and you’re absolutely brilliant!

5. tanner says:

I love it so much and im gonna use it, is there any ideas on how to do fast money to complete this?

6. Rebecca says:

This looks great – but I can’t seem to get this to load on my ipad – will it not work? Can someone help I would love to use for a work presentation. I emailed my self the link and unzipped, but it says the file is not saved in public format . . . .Help!

7. Chelsea says:

Is there a way to add more possible answers? I have one question but with 9 possible answers. any help?

8. Sakeena says:

My master slides are blank when I open both files above. I am using Keynote 5.1.1. Please help!

9. Amy Lou says:

This was a huge help! Thank you very much for creating this and everyone for their tips over the years! I am excited about my game.

Any luck using this on an iPad?

10. Ally says:

Is there a way to add the strike visual x for incorrect answers? Also, having it show the points for each team at the bottom of each slide with the number of points earned would be nice What about the fast money round where they are given a set of 5 questions?

11. SA says:

It works great in the original size but the sound and image gets all distorted when I enlarge the file in keynote to 1280 x 760…I need to enlarge it to play on a large screen and projector…why is it distorted? The buzzer sounds on every click…Can you help me?

12. Jenny says:

Hi there,

I’ve been trying to merge 15 files with this master file to create 15 questions on one file but it’s not working properly. The links between slides screw up after I merge 3 questions…I have no idea how Stacey seemed to get this working.

If anyone has a file with many questions on it – please tell me how you did it!

13. Trav says:

Can anyone export this to a Microsoft PowerPoint file and upload it?

14. Georgia says:

Hi. This template is great, but I have a few questions. On some of the slides it doesn’t allow you to reveal the answer when on play. Why is this and can I change this? also when I add a question it keeps that one question for all slides. Can this be changed?

15. Nicole says:

downloaded program to my computer.
    when i try to open it says version is to old to open and must be saved to keynote 9 first.
    How do I save the file to keynote 9 when i can’t open it in keynote?

16. Andy says:

Hi there… I have been looking for a way to make a Family Feud game via keynote and ran across your article. I’m trying to understand how you are able to get all the different answer combinations with just 25 slides. When I calculated my combinations with 5 possible answers, I’m coming up with 125 slides minimum. Please tell me how you do it with just 25?

So some of those 125 slides are duplicates of each other.
      i.e. if you select 1 then 3 that’s the same as selecting 3 then 1, so you don’t need 2 slides for that, just 1.
      Did you download the keynote and have a look?

17. Mel says:

Does anyone know how to edit the “wrong buzzing sound”? There is a long delay before it and I just want to shorten it, but can’t find it on the master slide and don’t know how to do it without selecting each sound file individually and trimming it. Any suggestions?

18. Tim says:

Thank you very much! You saved me hours and hours of work I don’t even have the ability to do! This is great!

19. dsrtrosy says:

Wow–excellent. Thank you for the kindness of a free download. This worked perfectly for a last minute idea I had for tonight’s class.

20. Beth says:

Thanks so much and for allowing it to be free. Great work! Also, the larger file loaded in seconds for me.

21. Dyan says:

Wayne, can you help clarify what Stacy did to create 25 possible questions within the same file? I have copied and renamed the master slides to question 1 sound and no sound etc. But I cannot figure out how she copy/pasted the sequence of 34 possible answer slides and reapplied the “Question 2 Sound” and “Question 2 No Sound” to the appropriate slides.

22. Chanel says:

This is awesome! I am hosting an event tonight but am running into a little difficulty. I want to add in questions that same way Stacey did all in the same keynote…but when I press play it will only play question 1. I have added in the appropriate slides Question 2 Sound/No Sound…I am just not sure why the transition is not working. Please help! :-)

23. Carlos says:

Has anyone gotten this to work with multiple questions? I have done as the tip says and re-apply the masters, but when played it keynote reverts back to the question 1 slides.

Any ideas?

24. James says:

I agree. The instructions for adding multiple questions are unclear. Even when I try to apply different master slides it keeps reverting back to the first one

25. Tracy says:

The key to adding multiple questions is changing the go to slide buttons on each answer. If you click the little blue circle with arrow on it on the master slides, you will see that Wayne has directed each answer to go to another slide. If you add multiple questions, you will need to change each one of these to correspond/follow the same pattern as with slides 1-35.

GREAT job Wayne with the design of this game. Thank you.

26. Betül from Turkey says:

Thank you for the great design!! I was looking for something like this. The instructions are enough and also thanks for tip for multiple questions.

27. Karen says:

Thank you! This is awesome!

28. Jason says:

There is another option for adding multiple questions in one presentation. You can duplicate the original presentation for as many questions as you like. You can then edit the master slide on each new presentation. Once you have all your questions created, you can then copy and past them into the original presentation. This avoids the need to change the “go to slide” buttons on each slide.

Great job with the design of the game. This is very creative and helpful.

• Kyle says:

I can’t see my cursor on the new slides? Any reason why this would be?

• Brad Doell says:

Thanks for all the hard work Wayne. I was able to put together an 18 question Christmas themed game using your example. Advice to others trying to do the same – make sure you “copy and paste” do not “drag and drop”.
      Cheers

• Chris says:

Yep, what I do with the downloaded presentation is do a “Save As” and rename the file (say, “Family Feud Final”). Open both files simultaneously (the original you downloaded and the newly-renamed copy). On the original file, go to the slide masters and change the question and answers. Exit the master slide view. Now copy all 30+ slides and paste them into the renamed copy. Switch back to the original and repeat the process until your renamed copy has all the questions you want. I ended up with a final presentation with 20 questions and 600+ slides (about 26 MB in total size). Super easy.

29. Brad says:

Hi Kyle

I had the same problem with the cursor disappearing. Turns out keynote behaves differently if you “copy and paste” vs “drag and drop”. When you “drag and drop” the slides, the “little blue arrow” disappears.
    When you “copy and paste”, this “little blue arrow” not only stays intact, it remaps the new slide locations for the slides you just copied and pasted.
    I hope this makes sense.

30. Jenna says:

Thank you so much! My students are going to love this!