May 04

I wanted a ‘family feud’ style gameshow in keynote, but it was a bit complicated trying to make the right answer appear. I found the best way to do it was to have 25 slides with the different possible combinations of hidden/shown answers, then a heap of hyperlinks between various slides depending on what answer was picked. It worked out well.

To change the answers, go to the master page, and edit the text fields that have the answers, be careful not to move any fields around, just edit the text in them.

To play the game, start the slideshow at slide number 6.
If there is a corrrect answer guessed, click on the appropriate box to reveal that answer – complete with sound efffects!
For a wrong answer, click anywhere on the background.

Here is a link to the keynote templates – there are two versions:

This is a very big version that takes a long time to load but has the ‘wrong’ sounds in it:

This is a smaller version that needs the ‘wrong’ sounds to be played from an ipod but is much faster to load.

Here are the rules from wikipedia:

Let me know how it goes!

Here’s a goot tip from Stacey:

Thank you so much for your work! This is awesome – perfect as a review game for my students. But, I was able to make more questions on the same presentation rather than saving a bunch of files. I just copied the two master slides (“Sound” and “No sound”) and renamed them (“Question 2 Sound” and “Question 2 No Sound”). Then I typed in my second question on the two new master sides. Next, I copy/pasted the sequence of 34 possible answer slides and reapplied the “Question 2 Sound” and “Question 2 No Sound” to the appropriate slides. I ended up making about 25 different questions in one file. Thanks again!

52 Responses to “How to make a Family Feud game in Keynote”

1. Larry K. says:

It looks like a great file, but it took a while to load. Keynote kept asking for missing files. Do you have an update family feud file? I’m running Keynote 2.0.2.

Thanks !
    Larry

2. Suf says:

It looks great but the pictures for the thumbs are so small.If you can please post bigger version.Also thanks so much i have to do project at school on any game! For the sounds can you please tell me where you dowloded it from cause it won’t work on my computer.

3. Cathi S. says:

Thank you so much! I used this game for my college class and my students loved it. The sound effects and music were a big hit.

4. Doug W says:

Hi, I can’t seem to open the presentation in my keynote v 2.0.2. Is there an update or something I’m doing incorrectly? keynote crashes every time.

-Doug

5. Jesse says:

This is great! How do you create more questions using the same file?

6. admin says:

You just go into keynote, to the background slide, click on the question, and change it.

7. sarah says:

i’m new to keynote. i was wondering how everyone got it to work. i downloaded the file, but all i see are .mov and tiff files. can anyone help?

8. Liz says:

This is great! I want to have a whole gameshow – not just one question, but I don’t want to back out and retype more questions. How do I add more questions to the gameshow so it is one continuous gameshow with 5 different question segments?

9. admin says:

The way I did it as to make 5 seperate slideshows – one for each game, and have them sitting on the desktop.

After each one quit and open the new one.

I had my presentation desktop set to a black background, so that you couldn’t tell on the projector that I had quit out of keynote.

10. John says:

This worked out great. Our church had a great time playing this.

11. dejmu says:

What file do I open in Keynote. The files are extracted but I do not see a .key filetype to open. Suggestions?

12. dejmu says:

What file do I open in Keynote.
    Suggestions?

13. dejmu says:

I got the correct filetype (.key) but now it doesn’t open in Keynote. It gets stuck halfway through the process.
    Thanks!

14. April says:

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I need to do a presentation for the city I work in – BUT I don’t have a mac. Is there any other program that I can run this in?? Please HELP!

15. Sonny says:

This great! Two questions:
    The .mov files were not linked up. Is there an easy way to replace them?

I would like to have 10 questions in a whole game. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!!

16. daddy mac says:

we need this for a science class project can someone help us to get it open on a file and possibly put it on a smartboard ?

17. Nathan says:

You need Keynote ’08 or newer to run this.

18. Alex says:

Can’t open. It seems to hang. Am using Keynote ’09. Any ideas?

19. Alex says:

Scratch that. It finally opened after a looong wait :-)
    When I re-saved it as a Keynote ’09 file, opening it again was a breeze.
    Thanks!

20. Jess says:

Alex was right, it took forever to open, but when it finally did it was worth the wait! I had been looking around for at least an hour for good templates and wasn’t having much luck (yes, many templates, but all very basic looking). This one is amazing! Thank you so much for posting.

21. Jay says:

Fantastic. Thank you for posting this. Very well put together and fun to use. I agree with others that when it is resaved as an 09 file it reloads right away. I made 5 different files for 5 different questions. That video clip is a great touch. Thanks again for including all the files. I haven’t seen a cooler one than this even among the PPT files.

22. Kim says:

How long is “forever” – I’ve been waiting 2 hrs for this file to open.

23. Bart says:

Awesome job! Works great and will really add to my elementary school presentations!

24. irene says:

We are trying to put together a presentation for some co-workers that are leaving and we would love use this but for some reason it’s not working right. Can anyone help? I have all the questions put together. Also, is there a Fast Money Round? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

25. Stacey says:

• bmar says:

@Stacey

Did you have to create another set of hyperlinks with every combination in the second set of questions?

Thanks!

• Stacey says:

I don’t think so (although clearly it’s been a year since I’ve opened this presentation!). If I remember correctly, all I had to do was copy and paste the first set of questions and then reapply master slide 2 (with question 2) to the duplicate slides.

• Debbie says:

I am new to Keynote and having trouble doing the various sets like you did. Any chance you would be willing to share your full game so I can just redo questions and answers?

26. bmar says:

Game is great! Thanks for posting/creating. Be patient, it takes a while to load at first.

27. joy says:

Can someone please tell how to get this to work. I tried saving but where do I go from there and what do I open? I really need this for a school presentation!….so anyone could help that would be great!

28. David says:

I got everything to load up, links seem to work fine but the audio and video files are not working. I’ve got them all so could someone clue me in on how to place them inside the presentation? Thanks so much!

29. mitch says:

I will be having a presentation about diabetes. I’m looking for a game like this but it’s taking so long to load every time I wanna ope in. Can someone please let me know how I can fix it? Is there any other game I can do with keynote to get my classmates involved? Thanks

30. Kelli says:

Well, admin … same issue. I cannot get this file to open. I have tried on multiple Macs and waited for an hour now on this last one. Is there any way you can email the file to me? Perhaps there is something with the link from here? I am using Keynote ’09, the latest update. Thank you!

31. Mickey Carter says:

I’m a youth pastor trying to download this file to use. The link doesn’t work? Is it possible for you to email me a different link?

32. Erin E says:

This is awesome!! I downloaded the smaller version, since my computer is slow and it was easy!! The download took 5 minutes and the file opens in seconds without a problem. For those of you having trouble, just use the smaller file!

We are using it at WyldLife tonight!! Thank you!!

33. Laura says:

I followed Stacey’s instructions to add questions; however, when I go to view the show, the second set of questions starts with the “buzzer” and then each correct answer has the “ding” followed by the buzzer. I can’t figure out how to get rid of the automatic buzzer sounds. Any suggestions?

• Stacey says:

Open Inspector, click on the QuickTime tab on the far right, and make sure the “start movie on click” box is checked for all of the buzzer sounds. This makes it so that when a student gives an incorrect answer, you can click in anywhere on the teal background space and the buzzer will sound.

34. Corey says:

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I was scared I’d have to use Flash to do this. You saved me so much work and you’re absolutely brilliant!

35. tanner says:

I love it so much and im gonna use it, is there any ideas on how to do fast money to complete this?

36. Rebecca says:

This looks great – but I can’t seem to get this to load on my ipad – will it not work? Can someone help I would love to use for a work presentation. I emailed my self the link and unzipped, but it says the file is not saved in public format . . . .Help!

37. Chelsea says:

Is there a way to add more possible answers? I have one question but with 9 possible answers. any help?

38. Sakeena says:

My master slides are blank when I open both files above. I am using Keynote 5.1.1. Please help!

39. Amy Lou says:

This was a huge help! Thank you very much for creating this and everyone for their tips over the years! I am excited about my game.

Any luck using this on an iPad?

40. Ally says:

Is there a way to add the strike visual x for incorrect answers? Also, having it show the points for each team at the bottom of each slide with the number of points earned would be nice What about the fast money round where they are given a set of 5 questions?

41. SA says:

It works great in the original size but the sound and image gets all distorted when I enlarge the file in keynote to 1280 x 760…I need to enlarge it to play on a large screen and projector…why is it distorted? The buzzer sounds on every click…Can you help me?

42. Jenny says:

Hi there,

I’ve been trying to merge 15 files with this master file to create 15 questions on one file but it’s not working properly. The links between slides screw up after I merge 3 questions…I have no idea how Stacey seemed to get this working.

If anyone has a file with many questions on it – please tell me how you did it!

43. Trav says:

Can anyone export this to a Microsoft PowerPoint file and upload it?

44. Georgia says:

Hi. This template is great, but I have a few questions. On some of the slides it doesn’t allow you to reveal the answer when on play. Why is this and can I change this? also when I add a question it keeps that one question for all slides. Can this be changed?