May 12

I wanted a ‘family feud’ style gameshow in keynote, but it was a bit complicated trying to make the right answer appear. I found the best way to do it was to have 25 slides with the different possible combinations of hidden/shown answers, then a heap of hyperlinks between various slides depending on what answer was picked. It worked out well. I’ve updated the files for Keynote 6.

The text for the questions and answers is on the master slide. To change the answers, edit the master slide. To do this select ‘Edit Master Slide’ and edit the text fields that have the answers. Be careful not to move any fields around, just edit the text in them.

To play the game, start the slideshow at slide number 1.

If there is a corrrect answer guessed, click on the appropriate box to reveal that answer – complete with sound effects! For a wrong answer, click anywhere on the background.

Here is a link to the keynote templates – there are two versions:

Version 1

This is a very big version that takes longer to load but has all the sound effects in it.

Family Feud for Keynote 6

Older version for Keynote 4

Version 2 – simplified version.

This is a simplified version that needs the ‘wrong guess’ sound effect to be played from an ipod but it is much faster to load. The slides are also rearranged so  you can control it manually by pressing the number keys instead of using a mouse. (e.g. ‘1’ reveals answer 1′, ’12’ reveals answer 1 and 2, ’21’ reveals all except for 1 and 2 and so on.

NOTE – for this version you need to start on slide 6.

Family Feud for Keynote 6

Older Version for Keynote 4

Here are the rules from wikipedia:

Let me know how it goes!

Here’s a goot tip from Stacey:

Thank you so much for your work! This is awesome – perfect as a review game for my students. But, I was able to make more questions on the same presentation rather than saving a bunch of files. I just copied the two master slides (“Sound” and “No sound”) and renamed them (“Question 2 Sound” and “Question 2 No Sound”). Then I typed in my second question on the two new master sides. Next, I copy/pasted the sequence of 34 possible answer slides and reapplied the “Question 2 Sound” and “Question 2 No Sound” to the appropriate slides. I ended up making about 25 different questions in one file. Thanks again!

72 Responses to “How to make a Family Feud game in Keynote”

1. Larry K. says:

It looks like a great file, but it took a while to load. Keynote kept asking for missing files. Do you have an update family feud file? I’m running Keynote 2.0.2.

Thanks !
    Larry

2. Suf says:

It looks great but the pictures for the thumbs are so small.If you can please post bigger version.Also thanks so much i have to do project at school on any game! For the sounds can you please tell me where you dowloded it from cause it won’t work on my computer.

3. Cathi S. says:

Thank you so much! I used this game for my college class and my students loved it. The sound effects and music were a big hit.

4. Doug W says:

Hi, I can’t seem to open the presentation in my keynote v 2.0.2. Is there an update or something I’m doing incorrectly? keynote crashes every time.

-Doug

5. Jesse says:

This is great! How do you create more questions using the same file?

6. admin says:

You just go into keynote, to the background slide, click on the question, and change it.

7. sarah says:

i’m new to keynote. i was wondering how everyone got it to work. i downloaded the file, but all i see are .mov and tiff files. can anyone help?

8. Liz says:

This is great! I want to have a whole gameshow – not just one question, but I don’t want to back out and retype more questions. How do I add more questions to the gameshow so it is one continuous gameshow with 5 different question segments?

9. admin says:

The way I did it as to make 5 seperate slideshows – one for each game, and have them sitting on the desktop.

After each one quit and open the new one.

I had my presentation desktop set to a black background, so that you couldn’t tell on the projector that I had quit out of keynote.

10. John says:

This worked out great. Our church had a great time playing this.