Feb 02

Apple has introduced a ‘print’ button onto iPads, iPhones and iPods to allow you to print directly to a printer from your iOS device. Unfortunately  you need a special AirPrint enabled printer. Thankfully there is an application called ‘Handyprint’ that allows you to print to any printer, here’s where to get it and how to use it.

APPLE AIRPRINT

On your iPhone at the bottom of some apps is a ‘share’ button. If you click this button you get a menu of different ways to share the content, one of these options is ‘print’ as shown below.

Share Button

Print Button

When you press the ‘Print’ button you will be given an option to choose a printer, but unless you have a special AirPrint printer’ you will see no printers here at all.  (I have a Canon IR5000, a Canon inkjet, a Xerox and a HP and none of them are AirPrint!)

If you don’t have an AirPrint printer there will be no printer here to select

AIRPRINT ON NON-AIRPRINT PRINTERS
If you want your non-airprint printer to appear then you can download the following free  donation ware  $5 application called ‘AirPrint Activator‘ ‘HandyPrint’ from netputing. It’s free for 14 days then it asks for a donation of a minimum of $5. It used to be free, then it was donation ware, now it costs $5. If anyone finds a free alternative let me know.
You download it to a macintosh computer that’s attached to your printer, then it allows you to print via the computer to any printer via AirPrint. Your computer acts as a bridge between your iOS device and printer.  Note you can’t print directly from an iPad to a non air-print printer, only via a computer.
Click here to go to the netputing page to find the latest version.  Download the little application called ‘HandyPrint’. You may then need to click on the ‘downloads’ button in the top right of Safari to find where it has been downloaded to.

Click on the ‘Show Downloads’ button to find it.

Now run HandyPrint by  double clicking the HandyPrint application.
You should get a window that looks like the one below.
Press the slider to ‘Turn On’ AirPrint.

The Printer should now appear in your iPad or iPhone printing menu!

Windows users:

There is a PC version that I’ve found but it costs $20. You can download from here:  http://www.collobos.com Anyone found a free PC version?

Printing directly from iOS without a computer:

There is an alternative way of doing this. You can an app on your iPhone or iPad that will attempt to print directly to your printer. ‘Printer pro’  in sone such app and there is a good set of instructions here.  There’s a free version that will let you see if it works here.

I am not recommending Printer Pro as when I tried it all it printed was 11 pages of gobbledygook. Printer Pro doesn’t work on some printers, and so they have released a ‘helper app’ called desktop helper which you can run on your computer. That now means you are running two apps. The good thing about handy print is that it uses the printer drivers on your computer, so if your computer can print to your printer then handy print can as well. Handyprint only costs $2 more.

98 Responses to “How to Air Print to ANY (non-airprint) printer from your iPod, iPad or iPhone”

1. garry blyth says:

will this work on a mac book pro as my printer is a epson ,and it’s on my wireless net work

2. Kevin Griffin says:

Not sure what I am doing wrong. It shows up on my iPad, I print to it but nothing ever happens on the printer. Any advice?

• paulh40 says:

If your computer you installed AirPrint on goes to sleep AirPrint will not activate. it seems as though the computer needs to be awake.

3. Rexmano says:

I have an iPhone 4S with the latest iOS (5.1.1) I have tried everything possible but this thing does not work. It just sits there and does nothing. If anyone figures out anything, please let me know at: rex.rexmano@gmail.com
    Thanks.

4. Bass Mule says:

Turned on printer sharing, turned on internet sharing, printer comes up on list of advertised printers, but I can’t select a printer. I’m running 10.7.4 on my mac and 5.11 on my iPhone 4.

5. Jose says:

Bass Mule

You do not have to select from the list of advertised printers. You iphone or
    or Ipad will recognize the printer that you have. Your printer has to be on.

Good luck.

6. Niceandchuy says:

I download the AirPrint file to my iPad but doesn’t open to install on iPad, do I need an app to install this.

7. Tony says:

It simply does not work ! When I try to open it there appears a page with letters and all kind of stuff wich I don’t understand ! Excuse my english !

8. richard says:

i’m struggling here – having red round this and watched a number of youtube clips, it appears that you load the airprint activator on another device other than an ipad or iphone! am i right or am i right? this is not result for me. i was hoping to have an app on my ipad that would recognise my wireless hp photosmart printer. anyone any ideas?

9. Bud says:

Is there a PC version of this? i.e. Can I install on a PC?

10. Tom says:

My PC is not wireless but my Canon Pixma MP640 is. can I download the airprint activator to my Pc and be able to print on my printer from my I pad?

11. krus says:

Worked like a dream. Thank you!

12. Vinay says:

Do i need to jailbreak my iPad for using this

13. Lynda Scheer says:

Will the Air Print work with I Phones 3 and 4 also ??? or just with 5 ?

14. Andrew says:

Keeps asking me for money! Not free anymore?

15. Monique says:

I have iPhone 4s and it just sits there when I select to download the AirPrint activator? How do I download the app?

16. Mark Vivian says:

This is not an app that runs on iPod/iPad/iPhone. This is a free program that runs on a Mac computer. Simples. Once installed this links your i-device to your Mac to enable you to print from your i-device via your Mac. Therefore, your Mac & printer has to be turned on and not in seep mode.

17. frank says:

works great thx!

18. Al says:

Thanks for the article will try it!
    On an other note, I find funny people who don’t ”recommend” jailbreaking. Scaring people away from so many awesome tweaks, witch end up being implemented by Apple on subsequent ios’s , is a mystery to me. Being jailbroken is the best thing that ever happened to my phone.

19. Zulfir says:

I am unable download n install on my iPad…

Can anybody help me….

20. Pak says:

I got this to work in 3mins. Bonkers.
    All this over the same wifi network.

iPhone 3GS iOS 6.0 JB
    Epson XP 202
    Mac Mini on 10.8.2 Moutain Lion

21. David says:

Works perfect. Took a whole 3 minutes to set up. Thanks for a great solution.

22. Paddy says:

brilliant! saved me buying new printer, 3 minutes maximum to download and install. Thank you

23. Dina says:

If you have a Canon Printer with WIFI capabilities (mine is MX870, I use it to print anything wireless from my macbook pro), there’s an application for iPhones called Canon iEEP that lets you print pretty much anything that is on your iPhone (as long as you have it either in your photo album or you scanned something and saved it on your phone)… Its awesome and free!!

24. Dan says:

Why can I not find this app in the App Store?