Feb 02

Apple has introduced a ‘print’ button onto iPads, iPhones and iPods to allow you to print directly to a printer from your iOS device. Unfortunately  you need a special AirPrint enabled printer. Thankfully there is a free application called ‘AirPrint Activator’ that allows you to print to any printer, here’s where to get it and how to use it.

AIRPRINT

On your iPhone at the bottom of some apps is a ‘share’ button. If you click this button you get a menu of different ways to share the content, one of these options is ‘print’ as shown below.

Share Button

Print Button

When you press the ‘Print’ button you will be given an option to choose a printer, but unless you have a special AirPrint printer’ you will see no printers here at all.  (I have a Canon IR5000, a Canon inkjet, a Xerox and a HP and none of them are AirPrint!)

If you don’t have an AirPrint printer there will be no printer here to select

AIRPRINT ON NON-AIRPRINT PRINTERS
If you want your non-airprint printer to appear then you can download the following free donationware application called ‘AirPrint Activator‘ ‘HandyPrint’ from netputing. It’s free for 14 days then it asks for a donation of the amount your choice.
You download it to a macintosh computer that’s attached to your printer, then it allows you to print via the computer to any printer via AirPrint. Your computer acts as a bridge between your iOS device and printer.  Note you can’t print directly from an iPad to a non air-print printer, only via a computer.
Click here to go to the netputing page to find the latest version. It works on Mountain Lion and iOS6.
This will download a little application called ‘HandyPrint’.
You may then need to click on the ‘downloads’ button in the top right of Safari to find where it has been downloaded to.

Click on the ‘Show Downloads’ button to find it.

Now run HandyPrint by  double clicking the HandyPrint application.
You should get a window that looks like the one below.
Press the slider to ‘Turn On’ AirPrint.

The Printer should now appear in your iPad or iPhone printing menu!

NOTE:
There is a PC version that I’ve found but it costs $20. You can download from here:  http://www.collobos.com Anyone found a free PC version?

93 Responses to “How to Air Print to ANY (non-airprint) printer from your iPod, iPad or iPhone”

1. garry blyth says:

will this work on a mac book pro as my printer is a epson ,and it’s on my wireless net work

2. Kevin Griffin says:

Not sure what I am doing wrong. It shows up on my iPad, I print to it but nothing ever happens on the printer. Any advice?

• paulh40 says:

If your computer you installed AirPrint on goes to sleep AirPrint will not activate. it seems as though the computer needs to be awake.

3. Rexmano says:

I have an iPhone 4S with the latest iOS (5.1.1) I have tried everything possible but this thing does not work. It just sits there and does nothing. If anyone figures out anything, please let me know at: rex.rexmano@gmail.com
    Thanks.

4. Bass Mule says:

Turned on printer sharing, turned on internet sharing, printer comes up on list of advertised printers, but I can’t select a printer. I’m running 10.7.4 on my mac and 5.11 on my iPhone 4.

5. Jose says:

Bass Mule

You do not have to select from the list of advertised printers. You iphone or
    or Ipad will recognize the printer that you have. Your printer has to be on.

Good luck.

6. Niceandchuy says:

I download the AirPrint file to my iPad but doesn’t open to install on iPad, do I need an app to install this.

7. Tony says:

It simply does not work ! When I try to open it there appears a page with letters and all kind of stuff wich I don’t understand ! Excuse my english !

8. richard says:

i’m struggling here – having red round this and watched a number of youtube clips, it appears that you load the airprint activator on another device other than an ipad or iphone! am i right or am i right? this is not result for me. i was hoping to have an app on my ipad that would recognise my wireless hp photosmart printer. anyone any ideas?

9. Bud says:

Is there a PC version of this? i.e. Can I install on a PC?

10. Tom says:

My PC is not wireless but my Canon Pixma MP640 is. can I download the airprint activator to my Pc and be able to print on my printer from my I pad?

11. krus says:

Worked like a dream. Thank you!

12. Vinay says:

Do i need to jailbreak my iPad for using this

13. Lynda Scheer says:

Will the Air Print work with I Phones 3 and 4 also ??? or just with 5 ?

14. Andrew says:

Keeps asking me for money! Not free anymore?

15. Monique says:

I have iPhone 4s and it just sits there when I select to download the AirPrint activator? How do I download the app?

16. Mark Vivian says:

This is not an app that runs on iPod/iPad/iPhone. This is a free program that runs on a Mac computer. Simples. Once installed this links your i-device to your Mac to enable you to print from your i-device via your Mac. Therefore, your Mac & printer has to be turned on and not in seep mode.

17. frank says:

works great thx!

18. Al says:

Thanks for the article will try it!
    On an other note, I find funny people who don’t ”recommend” jailbreaking. Scaring people away from so many awesome tweaks, witch end up being implemented by Apple on subsequent ios’s , is a mystery to me. Being jailbroken is the best thing that ever happened to my phone.

19. Zulfir says:

I am unable download n install on my iPad…

Can anybody help me….

20. Pak says:

I got this to work in 3mins. Bonkers.
    All this over the same wifi network.

iPhone 3GS iOS 6.0 JB
    Epson XP 202
    Mac Mini on 10.8.2 Moutain Lion

21. David says:

Works perfect. Took a whole 3 minutes to set up. Thanks for a great solution.

22. Paddy says:

brilliant! saved me buying new printer, 3 minutes maximum to download and install. Thank you

23. Dina says:

If you have a Canon Printer with WIFI capabilities (mine is MX870, I use it to print anything wireless from my macbook pro), there’s an application for iPhones called Canon iEEP that lets you print pretty much anything that is on your iPhone (as long as you have it either in your photo album or you scanned something and saved it on your phone)… Its awesome and free!!

24. Dan says:

Why can I not find this app in the App Store?

25. Biz says:

This Rox!

26. RAJU says:

Hi I have Samsung print how can I print from from my iPhone ?

27. Shirley Cortright says:

Will this work if your computer isn’t a Mac?

28. Ellyn says:

What a crack up, I can’t believe how patient you are Wayne. Great job!

29. Estelle says:

Thanks for this – i had not realised by reading a lot of other sites that your PC always had to be on to print so in my case that just means i won’t bother, will just email myself and print from there. Many thanks for this good info : )

30. Estelle says:

31. Duane says:

I noticed that it says that this is a 14 day trial.
    What happens after 14 days?

32. Bill W says:

Great!
    I wonder why this isn’t a standard feature for the iMac?

33. Robert Allen says:

AirPrint Activator is called handyPrint and is not free. You get a 14 day trial then you gotta pay to play.

34. Shirl says:

print n share is a good printing app as well, whether you have airprint or not or just want something quick and easy to use

• Shirley says:

Hi from one Shirl to another! I have downloaded Print n Share on my 4S (iOS6.0.1) but I haven’t a clue how to connect it to my printer for use with it. My printer is an Epson DX6000 but my iMac is still running system 10.4.11. (I presume I don’t need Cloud?) I will be downloading WePrint when I get home. Any tips or advice you or the other guys might have would be greatly appreciated :)

35. Stacy says:

Thanks!

36. PatgoingofMac? says:

Am I the only one who, having converted to Mac and having converted a big number of family and friends, is increasingly noticing signs of MAC power to make us captive audience hurdling us into spending and having less freedom now that Steve Jobs is gone? Is it back to the dark ages with Mac? Only a few years ago, I would also only buy HP but after loads of regular issues with HP printers/scanners converted to Canon which has been great for us. Now I wonder whether they too are being bullied by Mac? This, after struggling for yet another day to get the good MP 640 printer/scanner to respond to ANY of the various Apple machines!

37. Christina says:

I am running OS X 10.5.8, and an IPhone 4s iOS 6.0.1. I downloaded and installed AirPrint Activator v2.0b13. I turned on printer sharing and internet sharing. AirPrint Activator sees my Canon iP1600 (not wireless, does it have to be?) BUT when I go to print from my iPhone it doesn’t find any printers. Is there a way to trouble shoot this?

38. Sally says:

No luck printing with this at all. Have a new mac and iphone 4, phone still doesn’t find the printer.

39. joe says:

this not free, trial version for 14 days

40. alan parker says:

tried worked paid!

41. Jay McFall says:

My Mac Book Pro is connected to my printer through wifi, not a hard wire connection from printer to Mac, will this set up work?

On my iPhone 4s when I went to print, it showed my printer, but I hadn’t read the rest of the page about setting up Print/Scan under Preferences and it didn’t print.

42. ShellB says:

Got this to work in under 5 minutes! Love it! Was going to have to buy my husband a new printer for xmas to go with his iPad.
    Mac laptop 10.7.5
    Canon MP600 printer
    iPad 2

43. Mary Kate Larson says:

How do I print on my iPad if I don’t have an air printer or a Mac ?

44. Maria borges says:

Every time i try to print is showing a message “print is offline” when the is on and working fine. Can someone help me?

45. Michael Thomas says:

This works on my New iPad but I can’t get my wife’s iPad 2 to see my printer, Brother MFC9320c. New iPad sees printer but older iPad does not.

46. hajime says:

I will not even try to set up a printer for my apple devices! I just read about 10 comments and they all say it does not work! So im not even going to try!!!!!! HAHAHAHA……..

47. Phil says:

CWI don’t see any comments about Brother printers MFC-495CW and/or MFC-615CW. Any suggestions? Would appreciate your help. Thanks!

48. Jenn Indiana says:

I found an app called “Print n Share” which works ok for the pc. The drawback is that it doesn’t act as an airprinter exactly. You have to open whatever you want to print through the app itself, then print through the computer as described above for the mac. It can print webpages, email attachments, photos, screenshots – lots of things. If other apps have an “open with” feature, you can use that to open whatever you would like to print in the Print n Share app to print it. The app was around $7. Not free, but better than $20 like someone else mentioned. They seem to have really good support as well.

49. Mick Lynch says:

Well…..if you’ve got to link to a Mac in any case, it would seem to a simple-minded soul like me that you may as well just email info from your iPhone to your own pc, and print to your already-recognised Dinosaur Inkjet from there???!!!
    Anything else sounds like a pure waste of time!!!
    %O@

50. Brendan says:

iMac OS 10.6.8 wired to printer. Printer sharing enabled.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1–prints perfectly from any app that offers print option.

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.1– sees the printer but won’t print to it from any app.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much.