NOTE: This article is for iWeb 08 and earlier. Click here for how to do this in iWeb 09.
SUMMARY: iweb normally publishes your website to your .mac account on the apple server. But it also has an option in the file menu called ‘publish to folder’ which means it saves the entire website onto your computer. (It puts it in your user directory in a folder called ‘sites’) You can then manually copy this folder to your own web account using a method called ftp.
That information may be all you were after, but if you need step by step instructions on how to do it, read on!
Before you go any further, can I say the apple way of doing things is good and simple, so get a .mac account if you can.
It’s a lot simpler!
Still want to upload your iweb pages manually using ftp?
1. You need to find out some technical sounding things from you ISP or web provider before you progress. Don’t be scared off by the funny names. They are actually quite simple. These are the details of where your webpage will be stored.
You will need 4 things.
FIRSTLY, the address of the ‘ftp server’ for where you want to put your website. If your website is ‘dubbo.org’ then it will be something like ftp.dubbo.org.
SECONDLY you will have a username and password with it.
FINALLY will also have what we call a ‘directory‘ which is simply the place your files will be stored on the website and it will be something like this: ‘/public_html’
You will need to know all these 4 things before you proceed. It’s no use guessing them. If you don’t know them you need to ring ask your web provider who you are paying for your web hosting what these details are. In summary you need (1) ftp server address, (2) username, (3) password and (4) remote directory (or remote folder).
2. Download w2w. This seems to be the easiest way to do it. It’s here: http://www.wallner.nu/fredrik/software/w2w/ With instructions.
3. Make and edit your website in iweb. In iweb select ‘publish to folder’ and it will save your iweb site into your user/sites directory on your computer.
4. Run w2w and it will copy the website from your user/sites directory on your own computer to you website on the internet. When you run w2w you will see a window like this:
Name can be anything.
Folder is the folder on your home computer. Hit Browse and go to your Macintosh HD/Users/Yourname/Sites/iwebsitetopublish and click on open.
The last 4 settings are the settings we talked about above from your ISP.
Fill them all in and press upload. From then on it remembers your settings for next time.
5. Each time you want to update your webpage, just repeat steps 3 and 4.
Leave a Reply