Aug 23

Crucial SSD
I just upgraded  the boot drive on my Mac Mini to an SSD drive. WOW!  It is by far the biggest speed enhancement I’ve experienced on any computer! The speed increase is incredible – almost hard to believe. Boot time went from 60 seconds to under 30 seconds, and applications launch instantly – no bouncing dock icon.

This is not for the beginner –  it’s quite technical – but here’s how to do it.

What we are doing.

SDD stands for ‘Solid State Drive.’ SSD drives are the same shape and size as a traditional drive. The difference is that an SSD drive uses RAM chips instead of a spinning hard disk to store information. This makes it much, much faster.

You could upgrade your entire hard drive but with a 480G SSD drive costing $1579.99, that’s not a cheap option!  So an alternative is to upgrade part of your hard drive to SSD. (A 64G drive costs $119.) I suggest getting an SSD drive to run just OS X and your applications, and leave your existing hard disk for all your user files. This means your System files and Applications are on the new SSD drive, but your user data (iphoto, itunes etc) stay on your old Hard Disk. This gives much faster boot times and application launching.

I have a 64GB SSD drive, it has all my apps and OSX on it, and it’s only half full! (See the graph below – the yellow is OS X Lion, the green is my Application Folder, most of the drive is still free.)

SSD Boot Drive using a different drive for my user folder – less than half the 64G SSD is used!

My main hard disk on the other hand has over 500GB used.

Here’s how to set up an SSD drive to run your OSX and Applications off, and keep using your existing hard drive for your user files.

How to do it:

1. Work out how big a boot drive you need.

Everything except your user data will go on the boot drive. To work out how much space you need, do this:

(a) Find your total disk usage.

Click on your hard drive and press Apple-I, check how much space is used. For me it’s 587 Gig:

(b) Find your user folder usage.

Select your user folder (the one with a house as an icon – this is where all your documents, music, movies, photos etc are stores). Press Apple-I.  It may take a while to calculate it. If you have more than one user, you’ll need to do it for each folder and add them up.

I only have one user and for me it was 550GB:

Subtract (b) from (a) to give you the amount needed for your boot drive.

587GB (total used space) – 550GB (user folder) = 37GB (everything else!).

I need at least 37GB for all my apps and system software. A 40GB drive looks like it would just to it – but don’t forget your system writes some very big files (upwards of 10GB) for memory swap files so this will fill up fast, plus with an SSD space more room means better operation, so I went for a 64GB drive.  I ordered a 64GB M4 SSD from Crucial in the USA  for US$119 (NOTE:That was 2011, they now only cost $84). Here is a link to Crucial’s SSD page. (I get a commission from this link).

2. Connect the new SSD Drive to your Mac.

The difficulty of this varies according to what kind of a Macintosh computer you have.

Mac Pro

Difficulty: easy – 30 seconds.

For a mac pro it simply connects into the spare optical bay slot – no adapters needed, a 30 second operation – see how here. I just sat the SSD drive in and added a bit of gaffe tape but there are some great adapters out there eg Angelbird SSD Adapter

Mac Mini

Difficulty: moderate – 1/2 hr.

For a new aluminium mac mini  you will need to replace one of the internal drives.  This involves pulling out the fan and motherboard to get the new SSD drive in. You can get the old hard disk out without pulling out the motherboard but the SSD drives are actually ever so slightly thicker and more uniform in shape so the motherboard needs to come out to manoeuvre the SSD drive in place. There’s easy to follow instructions here at mac fixit.

Macbook

Difficulty: hard – 1-2 hours.

For a macbook or macbook pro can replace the internal optical drive with your old Hard Drive or order a large SSD drive and replace your old hard drive with it. You can find instructions here.

iMac

Difficulty: Forget it!

It’s quite complex to pull the iMac apart and you need a vacuum clamp to pull the glass screen off. Give it a go if you want but I wouldn’t recommend it! Your simplest option is to put the SDD drive in an enclosure and leave it plugged in all the time.

3. Format the SSD Drive using disk utility.

After your SDD drive is plugged in you’ll need to power on your computer and use Disk Utility to format it – Mac OS Extended (Journaled):

4. Copy everything except your user directory onto the new boot drive.

Now you need to copy your system folder and applications onto your SSD drive. You can’t do this by hand – there are hidden files that need to be copied, so use Carbon Copy Cloner. Using Carbon Copy Cloner, select your boot drive as the target Disk and then select Incremental backup:

Now select your main hard drive as the source disk, but then deselect your main user directory so that you don’t copy across all your user data (it won’t fit!)

Click Clone and your boot disk will be created on the SSD disk.

5. Reboot from the new SSD boot drive.

Under System Preferences click Startup Drive select the SSD Drive, then restart! (wow – notice how fast it is!)

Since it is now looking for your user data on the new drive, it won’t find anything and so your desktop and dock will be the default ones and all your files will be missing. Don’t panic – in the next step we will get your old files back.

6. Select your old User folder.

Go to System Preferences, then Accounts, (in Lion this is now called ‘Users and Groups’) then ‘Click the lock to make changes’ and control-click the main user account and click Advanced Options.

In the advanced options tab choose your old user directory, which is back on your original hard drive.

Your computer will tell you that you need to restart, and when you restart you will be running off your new boot drive,with your user directory on your old hard disk.

So how fast is it? Here’s a demo of how quickly applications launch from my new SSD drive…

7. Enable TRIM.

Download this TRIM Enabler app and  run it. This will enable OSX built in  TRIM support which keeps your SSD drive lean and clean.

Crucial M4 say you do not need TRIM support (read this article for more information) but I turned it on anyway no problems.

151 Responses to “How to speed up your mac with a Solid State SSD Drive”

1. Alx says:

Hi, very interesting article.
    Appart from muy 13″ MBP I do have an old iBook G4 with its original 30gb hdd.
    Being a very old Power PC based model, do you think it is possible to replace the disk by a solid state one and will it improve big time its perfomance?
    cheers!
    Alex

• admin says:

It may not benefit as much from the SSD as there may be a bottleneck somewhere else in the machine. I’d go for it if it was a G4 Powerbook but I’m not sure about a g4 ibook – they are not a great machine. If you do just try a little 32G Solid State Drive.

• Yes I’ve done it on several occasions to G4s. Just clone your drive onto the SSD and go for broke. It’ll make an astounding difference, esp with some additional RAM (if possible).

2. kim scott says:

Whether clicking on my desktop Mac Hard Drive icon or with Finder search, I can not find Apple-I, nor the house icon.

I was able to do the calculations with an app I had downloaded, and by going to Mac Hard Drive in Finder and clicking on Users. For more than a year I have been running OS X 10.5.8 on a 24″ imac 9,1 with 4 GB RAM (upgradeable to 8 GB) and 640 GB hard drive. Would the instructions be different than for a Mac pro?

This post is the best explanation of why and how to upgrade with a SSD I have seen!

Currently I use a GB or two of page outs each day or two.
    Would this be better than adding more RAM? Or do I need both?

• admin says:

It’s hard to upgrade an iMac as you can’t open it so the SSD will need to be external. Yes in that case I’d probably upgrade RAM before I put in an SSD.

• Nandor690 says:

It is really not that hard to upgrade an iMac. I just upgraded my mid 2007 iMac to 2.80GHz core 2 extreme and an OCZ vertex 120GB HDD without any trouble at all.

3. mbosn says:

I was wondering why you would want your old user director on the old hdd? if I got a ssd around the same size as my old one would it matter? Should I just migrate everything?

• admin says:

If you can afford it – yes migrate everything – it will be a lot faster. The only reason not to is that SSD is way more expensive. (And, in the long term, less reliable, so make sure it’s backed up!)

4. Jamie says:

i was just wondering, once you have copied over all the required system files to your SSD, can you then delete those same files of your HDD, if so how would you go about doing that seeing as some of those files are hidden?

thanks

• Jamie says:

Also, following on from the previous question i have Windows and Linux virtual machines running on parallels that i require for uni work.

The parallels folder is located in Documents, which is in my home folder.
      Will i need to copy this over to the SSD aswell, and if so where abouts should i put it on the SSD?

thanks

• admin says:

Yes you can delete them but I kept them – they are only small and it’s good to have a backup.
      If you drag a folder to the trash all the hidden files in it go to the trash too.

• Jamie says:

sorry also what do i do with the virtual machines can i leave them on the HDD or do they need to be moved to the SSD to benefit?

5. wayne says:

Well they’d run faster off the SSD but it depends if you have enough room for them on there!

6. headmeister says:

Thanks for the tips – I followed your guide to the letter on my mid 2010 Mac Pro and all fine other then the apps don’t seem to open up any quicker from the dock. Is this because they are linked to the old ‘versions’? Should I be starting applications from the SSD boot and not the existing dock?

7. Rojak says:

Great site. Thank you! I’ve followed your instructions but, it seems my MBP-15″ (mid 2010) shuts off during the reboot using the SSD drive. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

8. Bryan says:

Followed these directions and it works great up until the part about Selecting old user folder. I suspect that these are instructions for a version of OS X other than Lion. I’m assuming “accounts”is now “users & groups” and from here after “unlocking” the instructions don’t seem to work… Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• admin says:

I’ve just checked and yes ‘accounts’ is now called ‘Groups and Users’ in Lion but the rest works fine.
      After you ‘unlock’ the padlock should look like it is unlocked, then when you control-clock do you see the ‘advanced options’ appear?

9. Wade says:

Just wanted to point out that a lot of these linking errors could be avoided if you do this:

-copy hdd to external drive using time machine
    -delete contents of hdd
    -boot machine with lion recovery
    -use restore from time machine and copy only applications and system to sdd
    – use restore from time machine and copy user folder to hdd

ps I haven’t tried this with lion recovery yet, but I did it with a snow leopard disk. You may need to wait to delete the contents of the hdd until the sdd is formatted and has the system and applications folder on it.

10. james braselton says:

hi there my macbook air had ssd standard not optional had 2.13 ghz duo core cpu 4 gb ram and a 256 gb ssd i am noticing lots of window compuers also having ssd stqndard too

11. Justin says:

Hello. Thank you for the information. The upgrade went swimmingly sans one issue. I didn’t see until too late but I pulled the IR/LED light cable out of the board while sliding it out an inch. I was able to plug the connectors back into the piece that snaps into the logic board but now the LED light doesn’t light up. I’m also not sure if the IR no longer works as I do not have an apple remote.

Could you help me fix this problem> There is a post/picture in this thread I started in another forum.

12. Namon says:

The instructions were great. Worked exactly as it should have! I wonder if I delete the content of my HDD with the exception of the applications folder and the user folder, is it possible to still use some of the applications (while missing the other system related folders)
    I have several programs that are used infrequently and would like them there if I ever need them… like my blanky from pre-school….

13. Nandor690 says:

“iMac: Forget it”????? You can replace the harddrive in an iMac in about 1/2 hour.
    Just to inform people reading this.

Thx,
    Nandor690

14. EmptyG says:

Thanks for the tips! It all went mostly fine for me too, but when I reboot, pretty much all of my apps won’t start (lots of “don’t have access” issues). iPhoto can’t create a library, browsers won’t open, etc. Did I miss a step?

15. Eric says:

I have the SSD installed, the HDD cloned (minus my user directory), and rebooted using the SSD. However, when I go into my user account’s advanced options and attempt to choose my home directory (on the HDD) my user folder is there, but it is not the “Home” directory and does not contain the documents or files of my “home folder.” What am I missing. BTW, I am running Lion on a 2010 13 inch MBP.

16. Erick S says:

hello interesting info, can I just copy all my apps, music, movies, pictures, etc to an hdd, and just do a fresh start. and do you think its better to just do folders in the second hdd, or should I partition the drive. right now i have a 1 tb drive in my MBP it was getting slow and all, because of all the cache and junk a computer in general gets filled. so I decided to just partition my drive, 250 for docs, 50 for music, 50 for movies, and 50 for apps. I did it this way, so if one partition gets slow i can copy it to an external disk, format the partition and then copy it back. whenever i get an sad, should i use this process, is it smart?

17. BigPhilWalks says:

I followed this process and it worked 100%. I am very happy with the outcome. My MBP boots much quicker as do the apps. All data is still coming from my HD. The OWC data doubler kit was a breeze to install too. All up, an excellent result.
    Thanks for the excellent instructions.

• Craig says:

I recently replace my stock 500gb 5400rpm drive in my MBP(mid2010) i7 2.66Ghz/8GB Ram. I purchased the Intel 520 120GB SSD SATA 6/GB and installed with with no trouble at all. Instead of transferring all the stuff from my old drive, I actually decided to just install everything fresh, and copied all the personal stuff off my TC. Now I had planned on buying the OWC Data Doubler kit and just putting the 500GB drive into that in place of the optics drive, most instructions all say to put the SSD Drive in place of the optics drive. Does it matter which is where????
      Now since this plan was hatched I’ve come into a bit of money issue’s and can no longer at the moment afford the data doubler even though it’s only like $70 thats a bit hard at the moment to come up with. Now since I bought the drive using a gift card and it cost $200, I was thinking about returning the 120gb SSD and buying the Seagate Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drive 750GB w/8gb SSD. It’s still an upgrade in speed and storage since my orig. drive was 5400rpm 500gb and the hybrid is 750gb 7200rpm w/32mb Cache + 8GB SSD.
      Anyone here try out one of these hybrid drives??? I could just try to stick it out with the 120 for now until I’m able to come up with the $$ for the DataDoubler?
      Thanks for your time and replies.

18. Falcon One says:

This is an outstanding guide. The only thing that did not work as posted for me was selecting the location of my home directory after the restoration. The original boot drive did not show up in the drop down menu so I had to manually type the correct full path. Other than that it worked great. I now have a 120GB SSD drive connected to my eSATA modded iMac 2010. It’s much faster to boot and my VMs are snappier as well. Thanks for the help.

19. Omar B. says:

Just finished installing a 120GB SSD into my mid-2009 15″ MacBook Pro by following the instructions here… No problems!!! Thanks a million for the setup!!! OWC Data Doubler Kit was definitely the way to go!!!!

20. Jon says:

Hi thanks for your post! I have also installed 64gb ssd. I did a clean install of Lion but I migrated my apps from old HDD to my ssd. I have 2.96 gb of audio, 371.2 mb of movies, 504.7mb of photos, 6.28gb of apps, 0kb of backups and 33.29gb of Other. I was shocked when I saw ‘Other’ was taking alot of space and I was expecting something like your screenshot around 13gb of ‘Other’ . would you know what could be taking up soo much space, I have run ccleaner but made not much difference . Please help! thanks

21. Sam says:

Can you do this WITHOUT Carbon Copy Cloner and just through Disk Utility?

• harryafc says:

carbon copy cloner is free tho? click the link in this article and you can download a free copy of it! its small swell so will take no time to download and install!

22. Antonio says:

I bought a ssd 520 Intel, but did not succeed in having full speed expected, about 250Mb/sec only half of this, I don’t understand. Matter of fact few times it reaches it but not always not stable. If you have some idea please send.
    Antonio

23. Sam says:

Regarding the Mac Pro 2006-2008 SSD installation….
    Is it necessary to use the optical drive method instead of the ‘much easier’ Icy Dock method? I read there is no noticeable speed difference between the two.

Thoughts on this?
    Thanks!

Icy dock is fine, maybe a little easier too. But it will take up one of your regular Hard Drive spaces, whereas plugging it into the spare optical connector leaves all 4 hard drive bays free if you need them. Also having it down in the regular HDD slot may be faster as it’s not doubled up with the optical drive on the same SATA bus?

24. rossco says:

Thanks, most SSD upgrade guides only show you the physical steps of swapping the drives, and miss out these essential steps to configure the OS and Applications. Many thanks, just what I needed!

25. Wayne says:

UPDATE: Crucial M4 bug. Well 9 months after installing my Crucial M4 every hour or so my mac mini freezes. I look in activity monitor and there is a process called syslogd taking up all my CPU. Turns out that after 5184 hours of use the Crucial M4 causes problems. There’s a firmware update with good instructions that fixed the problem here:

I had to unplug my thunderbolt Pegasus drive to install the firmware upgrade.